It’s easy to assume that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. People who shop around for cheaper price quotes will presumably buy a new policy because there are good odds of finding a policy with better rates. A survey found that consumers who shopped around every year saved over $850 each year compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the most affordable Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance is your target objective, then knowing how to find and compare coverages can make it easier for you to save money.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates in Boston is to do an annual price comparison from different companies who provide auto insurance in Massachusetts. You can compare rates by following these steps.
- Try to learn a little about how companies set rates and the factors you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price such as distracted driving and an imperfect credit rating can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. View rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your company or agent of your intention to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. When you receive it, keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
A good piece of advice is to try to compare similar coverage information on each quote request and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Boston insurance discounts
Some insurers do not advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Boston auto insurance online.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger insurance companies have better insurance rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Paperwork-free – Certain larger companies provide a small discount just for signing your application digitally online.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with a few insurance companies.
- Early Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Driving Data Discount – Boston drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to track their driving habits by installing a telematics device such as State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies with the same insurance company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Boston Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Boston can get you a discount since home ownership is proof that your finances are in order.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
Policy discounts save money, but many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The illustration below shows the difference between Chevy Silverado 2500HD auto insurance rates with and without some available policy discounts. The rates are based on a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-car, marriage, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Companies and a selection of discounts can be found below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for defensive driver, membership and employees, daytime running lights, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, federal employee, and anti-theft.
- Travelers has discounts for home ownership, hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-car, multi-policy, continuous insurance, and payment discounts.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, 55 and retired, driver training, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include newly married, multi-policy, new move discount, newly retired, teen driver discount, hybrid vehicle, and preferred payment discount.
- American Family offers premium reductions for good driver, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, and early bird.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and online signing.
Double check with each company what discounts are available to you. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Boston. To find providers with discount insurance rates in Massachusetts, click here.
Most companies give coverage prices on the web. This process is pretty painless because you just enter your personal and coverage information as requested by the quote form. After you submit the form the system automatically orders information on your driving record and credit history and quotes a price. This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to get many rate quotes if you want to get the cheapest price on auto insurance.
To save time and compare rates now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you replicate deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will be getting comparison quotes based on identical coverages.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Massachusetts. To buy cheaper auto insurance in Boston, we suggest you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance rates and statistics
The table shown next highlights detailed analysis of insurance costs for Chevy Silverado 2500HD models. Understanding how policy premiums are calculated helps drivers make smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 4WD||$232||$476||$404||$24||$122||$1,258||$105|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab 2WD||$232||$548||$456||$28||$136||$1,400||$117|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$232||$476||$404||$24||$122||$1,258||$105|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$258||$548||$404||$24||$122||$1,356||$113|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$258||$548||$456||$28||$136||$1,426||$119|
|Silverado 2500HD LT Extended Cab Diesel 2WD||$258||$548||$456||$28||$136||$1,426||$119|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$258||$548||$456||$28||$136||$1,426||$119|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 4WD||$258||$548||$404||$24||$122||$1,356||$113|
|Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$258||$620||$456||$28||$136||$1,498||$125|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in zip code location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates considerably.
Careless drivers pay higher rates
The chart below highlights how traffic violations and accidents can impact Chevy Silverado 2500HD annual premium costs for different insured age categories. The costs are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Full coverage or liability only
The information below compares Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance prices when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The data is based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula to exclude full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Chevy Silverado 2500HD claim settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $400 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some situations where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
Lower Insurance Rates with These Tips
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that help determine car insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in cheaper rates. Lots of things are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, but some are not quite as obvious like where you live or your financial responsibility.
Listed below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate your premiums.
Don’t skimp on liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection if a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not cut corners here.
What’s your car’s NHTSA crash test rating? – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can result in lower premiums. If the Chevy Silverado 2500HD has at least four stars on Safercar.gov you may pay a lower rate.
Does insurance coverage cost less for women? – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that females are better drivers. Females and males tend to get into fender benders in similar percentages, but men cause more damage. Men also receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no claims or driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Deductibles are a factor – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims could be a windshield shattered by a rock, flood damage, and damage from a fallen tree branch. The deductibles define how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for car insurance.
Save money by eliminating incidental coverages – There are quite a few extra add-on coverages that you can buy on your Silverado 2500HD policy. Things like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Insurance agent or online?
Some consumers still like to talk to an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to companies in Boston who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. There is no need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. In the event you want to compare rates from one company in particular, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right company should depend on more than just a cheap price. Get answers to these questions too.
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Boston?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- How are claims handled?
- If they are an independent agency in Boston, which companies do they recommend?
The difference between Boston car insurance agents
When looking for a local Boston insurance agency, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they work. Agencies in Boston can be described as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can handle car insurance, but it is a good idea to know why they differ because it can impact buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Boston who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent agents do not have single company limitations so they can write business amongst many companies and find you the best rates. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing car insurance prices, you definitely need to get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to compare the most rates.
The following are Boston independent insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost all lenders will force you to buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and make you pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Chevy Silverado 2500HD and your assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $750 every year so it’s important to compare rates at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Ratings for Massachusetts auto insurance companies
Finding a highly-rated car insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Boston. The company information in the next section may help you pick which companies to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 93%
- The Hartford – 93%
- The General – 91%
- Progressive – 90%
- 21st Century – 89%
- USAA – 87%
- State Farm – 87%
- Travelers – 87%
- Mercury Insurance – 87%
- Safeco Insurance – 86%
Be persistent and save
There are still a few companies who may not have the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent agencies. Discount Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance can be sourced online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
In this article, we presented many ideas to find affordable Chevy Silverado 2500HD insurance in Boston. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
As you quote Boston auto insurance, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional car insurance information can be found on the following sites:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Electric Cars in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford F-150 in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a School Permit in Boston? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Boston? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)