If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to regularly compare prices from different companies that insure vehicles in Boston. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- Try to understand how car insurance works and the things you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like inattentive driving and a bad credit score can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Read the full article for more details to help prevent costly coverage and find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in Boston. If you find a better price, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Tell your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the newly selected company. Once received, store the proof of insurance certificate somewhere easily accessible.
One thing to point out is to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
A recent study showed that over 70% of consumers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rate quotes at all. Boston drivers could save an average of as much as $600 each year, but they don’t invest the time required to find cheap rates by getting comparison quotes.
All the larger insurance companies give coverage prices from their websites. Obtaining pricing for Toyota FJ Cruiser insurance in Boston is quite simple because you just enter your coverage information into the form. Upon sending the form, their quoting system makes automated requests for credit information and your driving record and quotes a price. This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is imperative to get many rate quotes in order to find affordable prices.
To compare rates now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you replicate deductibles and limits as shown on your current policy. Doing this guarantees you are getting rate quotes for exact coverage.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Massachusetts. In order to find cheap auto insurance in Boston, we recommend you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
The information shown below showcases estimates of insurance prices for Toyota FJ Cruiser models. Having knowledge of how insurance premiums are established is important for making smart choices when choosing a car insurance company.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|FJ Cruiser 2WD||$266||$330||$344||$20||$104||$1,064||$89|
|FJ Cruiser 4WD||$296||$330||$344||$20||$104||$1,094||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in specific location information which can influence premium rates greatly.
Impact of citations and accidents on Boston insurance rates
The illustration below highlights how traffic violations and accident claims can increase Toyota FJ Cruiser yearly insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The information is based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Men versus women drivers and insurance cost
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Toyota FJ Cruiser premium costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Auto insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, auto insurance serves an important purpose.
First, almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Toyota at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
Third, auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your auto insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Boston is overpaying more than $830 a year so it’s important to compare rates every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheap Boston insurance rates with discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always list every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on insurance.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction with a few insurance companies.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving less can earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a defensive driving course could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current FJ Cruiser insurance policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them both with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of up to 20% off your total FJ Cruiser insurance premium.
- Claim Free – Boston drivers who stay claim-free pay less as opposed to drivers with a long claim history.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 25 to 30%.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The chart below shows the comparison of Toyota FJ Cruiser insurance rates with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The rate quotes are based on a male driver, no violations or claims, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, homeowner, marriage, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best Toyota FJ Cruiser insurance discounts in Boston in Massachusetts, follow this link.
Buying from insurance agents
Many people prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a smart decision One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can find the best rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this simple form, the quote information gets sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to drive around because prices are sent directly to your email. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- What companies can they write with?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Does their agency support local causes in Boston?
The difference between Boston car insurance agents
If you are searching for a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive agencies can usually just insure with one company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are exclusive agents in Boston that are able to give comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you check rates from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
Below are Boston independent insurance agents willing to provide comparison quotes.
After getting positive responses to all your questions and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is reputable and can provide car insurance coverage. Just understand that it’s your coverage and you can terminate your policy when you choose so never assume you are locked into your new company with no way out.
Car insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of car insurance helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find typical coverage types offered by car insurance companies.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for things like X-ray expenses, surgery, funeral costs, hospital visits and ambulance fees. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Toyota FJ Cruiser.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (20/40/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
This coverage covers damage to your FJ Cruiser resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, backing into a parked car, crashing into a building, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with a tree. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your FJ Cruiser to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show policy limits of 20/40/5 which stand for a limit of $20,000 per injured person, a limit of $40,000 in injury protection per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers things such as pain and suffering, attorney fees and legal defense fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Massachusetts requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/5 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough.
Do the work, save more money
We’ve covered many ways to reduce Toyota FJ Cruiser insurance rates online in Boston. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Boston auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. They often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
As you quote Boston auto insurance, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Boston Auto Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Boston Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Active Military in Boston? (FAQ)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)