Everyone knows that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Drivers who shop around annually are inclined to switch car insurance companies because there is a good chance of getting low-cost coverage. A survey found that people who regularly shopped around saved as much as $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the best price on insurance in Boston is why you’re reading this, then having some insight into the best way to compare insurance coverage can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get the cheapest Land Rover Range Rover insurance is to compare quotes once a year from insurers in Boston. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
First, spend some time learning about how insurance works and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like your driving record and poor credit can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Second, quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide prices for many different companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy and determine if cheaper Range Rover coverage is available in Boston. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed policy application and payment for your new policy. As soon as coverage is bound, put the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of this process is to try to compare the same deductibles and limits on every quote and and to compare as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Determine discounts on Boston insurance
Some companies do not advertise every available discount very well, so the next list breaks down some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using when you buy Boston auto insurance online.
- Professional Memberships – Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations can get you a small discount on your next insurance statement.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies with one insurance company you could save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will give you a small discount for signing up online.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few companies allow discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current Range Rover insurance policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Driving Data Discount – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to look at when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Range Rover insurance in Boston.
- Good Student Discount – Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more on Range Rover insurance in Boston.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
Larger insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, federal employee, membership and employees, seat belt use, and military active duty.
- Travelers may include discounts for IntelliDrive, good student, driver training, multi-car, new car, and payment discounts.
- Nationwide has discounts for easy pay, good student, accident-free, multi-policy, and business or organization.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include multi-car, business and professional, pay in full, switch companies, and early shopping.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for homeowner, Pac-12 alumni, emergency road assistance, online shopper, Switch & Save, online quote, and defensive driver.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, defensive driving training, driver’s education, anti-theft, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including good driver, multi-car, professional/association, accident-free, type of vehicle, and multi-policy.
When quoting, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in your area.
Finding a better price on car insurance can be quick and easy. All that’s required is to take the time comparing free Boston auto insurance quotes online with multiple companies.
It’s so fast and easy to compare rates online that it makes it a waste of time to actually drive to different Boston agent offices. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the professional abilities of a local Boston agent. Drivers can get prices online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in Boston, MA. In order to find cheaper car insurance in Boston, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Exclusive versus independent car insurance agents
Many drivers would rather get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision Good agents will help you protect your assets and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheaper car insurance rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your information gets sent to local insurance agents in Boston who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You won’t even need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to you directly. If you wish to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurance company requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Massachusetts?
Boston auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you want to buy insurance from a local insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Boston can either be exclusive or independent. Either type can do a good job, but it’s worth learning how they are different since it may influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Boston willing to provide rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they quote lower rates, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. When shopping rates, you absolutely need to include several independent insurance agents to have the best price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Boston willing to provide comparison quotes.
Insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Even though Boston Range Rover insurance rates can get expensive, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Range Rover has a loan, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Land Rover at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your Land Rover. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $820 a year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to save money.
Specifics of your insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of insurance can help you determine which coverages you need for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are the usual coverages offered by insurance companies.
Collision coverage covers damage to your Range Rover resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Range Rover in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses for things like ambulance fees, hospital visits, rehabilitation expenses, surgery and EMT expenses. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Land Rover Range Rover.
Since many Massachusetts drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Massachusetts limits are 20/40/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Liability auto insurance
This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people in an accident. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 20/40/5 which means a limit of $20,000 per injured person, $40,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income, bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects and court costs. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Massachusetts state law requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The next chart shows why buying minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like damage from getting keyed, a broken windshield, hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from flooding. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Boston car insurance companies ranked
Insuring your vehicle with the right auto insurance company can be difficult considering how many choices there are in Boston. The information below may help you choose which auto insurers to look at when shopping around.
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- The General
- The Hartford
- Farmers Insurance
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
- 21st Century
- Safeco Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
One last thing about your coverage
Cheaper insurance in Boston is available on the web in addition to many Boston insurance agents, so you need to shop Boston auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not provide online rate quotes and many times these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Nissan Versa in Boston? (FAQ)
- How Much are Boston Auto Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Boston Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Boston Auto Insurance for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)