It’s safe to assume that insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Drivers who shop around annually will most likely switch companies because of the high probability of finding a lower-cost company. A survey found that drivers who shopped around every year saved about $3,500 over four years compared to people who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest rates on car insurance is your objective, then having some knowledge of how to quote and compare insurance rates can help simplify the process.
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper Volkswagen Routan insurance is to compare prices regularly from providers in Boston. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that drive up the price such as traffic citations, accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides information to help reduce prices and find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save some money and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Tell your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the newly selected company. Make sure you place the new certificate of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One tip to remember is to compare the same deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to compare every company you can. Doing this helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
It’s important that you understand some of the factors that go into determining the price you pay for insurance. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that could result in cheaper rates. Lots of things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but other factors are less apparent like where you live or how financially stable you are.
- Demanding occupation may mean higher premiums – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupational choices like military generals, air traffic controllers, and accountants generally have the highest average rates due to job stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like professors, historians and retirees have lower than average premiums.
Driving citations increase prices – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one speeding ticket can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to prove financial responsibility with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
The example below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims can affect Volkswagen Routan premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The prices are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Liability protection – Liability coverage is the protection in the event that a jury decides you are liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. This coverage provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Better prices on vehicles with better crash test results – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Safer cars reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Volkswagen Routan earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Save by driving less – The higher the mileage driven each year the more it will cost to insure it. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Having the wrong rating on your Routan can cost quite a bit. Double check that your insurance declarations sheet states annual mileage, because it can save money.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Boston, MA. To buy the best auto insurance in Boston, MA, we suggest you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
The coverage table shown next covers different insurance rates for Volkswagen Routan models. Having a good understanding how prices are calculated can be useful when making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Routan S 2WD||$222||$350||$298||$18||$90||$978||$82|
|Routan SE 2WD||$250||$426||$298||$18||$90||$1,082||$90|
|Routan SEL 2WD||$250||$502||$298||$18||$90||$1,158||$97|
|Routan SEL Premium 6 Cyl 2WD||$280||$502||$298||$18||$90||$1,188||$99|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can lower or raise premiums considerably.
The diagram below highlights how deductible choice and can raise or lower Volkswagen Routan yearly insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Volkswagen Routan liability-only versus full coverage
The illustration below shows the difference between Volkswagen Routan yearly insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Massachusetts. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set guideline of when to phase out full coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Volkswagen Routan replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $2,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying over $200 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Choosing the best Volkswagen vehicle insurance in Massachusetts is an important decision
Even though Boston Routan insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is required in Massachusetts but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volkswagen, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Volkswagen at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects not only your Volkswagen but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in Massachusetts is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance rates and discounts
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but you might find some hidden discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain reductions will be credited when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Telematics Data – Insureds that choose to allow driving data collection to monitor where and when they drive by using a telematic data system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Boston Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner can get you a discount since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Resident Student – Kids who live away from home at college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- E-sign – A few companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
Don’t be surprised that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
The information below shows the difference between Volkswagen Routan insurance prices with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The costs are based on a male driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
A partial list of companies that may offer quotes with these discounts include:
When getting free Boston auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every prospective company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above might not apply in every state. To locate insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Boston, follow this link.
When to talk to a local insurance agent
Some people would rather buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Most agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing car insurance online is you can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying insurance from local agencies is important particularly in Boston.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your business. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Shown below are agents in Boston willing to provide price quote information for Volkswagen Routan insurance in Boston.
- Walter Kwan – Prudential Financial
72 Kneeland St Suite 301 – Boston, MA 02111 – (617) 482-6918 – View Map
- Ann M Foley Insurance
657 Gallivan Blvd – Boston, MA 02124 – (617) 282-5659 – View Map
- Spataro and Bellino Insurance Agency
156 Maverick St – East Boston, MA 02128 – (617) 567-6558 – View Map
- Flynn Insurance Agency, Inc.
30 Park St – Boston, MA 02129 – (617) 242-1200 – View Map
Picking the best insurer is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- When do they do policy reviews?
Ratings for Massachusetts car insurance companies
Choosing a high-quality auto insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many companies there are to choose from in Boston. The rank data shown next could help you choose which car insurance providers you want to consider when looking for cheaper rates.
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 93%
- The Hartford – 93%
- The General – 91%
- Progressive – 90%
- 21st Century – 89%
- USAA – 87%
- State Farm – 87%
- Travelers – 87%
- Mercury Insurance – 87%
- Safeco Insurance – 86%
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying your policy for your vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Cheap auto insurance premiums are out there
When getting Boston auto insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Cheaper auto insurance in Boston is available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these small insurance companies sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just covered a lot of techniques to lower your Volkswagen Routan insurance car insurance rates in Boston. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Boston auto insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding the cheapest Volkswagen Routan rate quotes. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Boston Auto Insurance Quotes for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Drivers with Accidents in Boston? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)