To save the most money, the best way to get discount Ford Freestar insurance in Boston is to compare prices regularly from insurance carriers in Massachusetts. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that cause high rates such as multiple speeding tickets and a poor credit score can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies. Begin your rate comparison
- Third, compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Boston. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you can, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
An important note is to try to use the same level of coverage on each price quote and to quote with as many companies as possible. This enables a fair price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Unbelievable but true, almost 70% of insureds have bought car insurance from the same company for well over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Many consumers in Massachusetts could save roughly $590 a year just by comparing rates, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to go online and compare rates.
Score discounts to get cheaper Boston insurance rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of some of the best known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using when you buy Boston auto insurance online.
- Drivers Education – Teen drivers should take driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds who allow driving data submission to scrutinize their driving habits remotely such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might get better premium rates if their driving habits are good.
- Good Grades Discount – Being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Boston auto insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Cars that have air bags can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Distant Student – Children who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Full Payment Discount – By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may reduce your total bill.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Ford could earn substantially lower premium rates.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Some of the insurance companies who may offer these money-saving discounts are:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
If you need low cost Boston auto insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering how you can save money. Savings might not be offered in your area. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer discounts in Massachusetts, click here.
The companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Massachusetts. To locate cheap auto insurance in Boston, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
How Car Insurance Companies Determine Ford Freestar Insurance Prices
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but others are more transparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
The following are some of the most common factors used by insurance companies to determine premiums.
- Low stress vocation equals lower rates – Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as military generals, social workers, and emergency personnel have higher rates than the rest of us due to high stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, jobs such as professors, historians and homemakers pay the least.
- Vehicle theft costs us all – Selecting a car model that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop car theft and help bring rates down.
- Costs for men may be higher – Statistics demonstrate females are less aggressive when driving. Now that doesn’t mean males are worse at driving than females. Both genders are in auto accidents at about the same rate, but guys get into accidents with more damage. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Premiums increase with policy add-ons – Insurance companies have many extra add-on coverages you can purchase on your Freestar policy. Insurance for coverage for rental cars, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing initially, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
- Frequent insurance claims will cost more – Companies in Massachusetts generally give better rates to people that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you file a lot of claims you can look forward to much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Avoid insurance lapses – Driving any period of time without insurance can get your license suspended and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance coverage expire. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage can result in fines or a revoked license.
- Safer cars means lower premiums – Safer cars get lower rates. Vehicles engineered for safety protect occupants better and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company which can result in lower premiums.
- More mileage equals more premium – The higher the miles on your Ford every year the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate than those that get driven frequently. Having the wrong rating on your Freestar may be wasting your money. Ask your agent if your policy correctly shows the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions can help discover if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Can’t I compare rates from local Boston insurance agencies?
A lot of people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still buy from a local agent. Supporting neighborhood agents is especially important in Boston.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is transmitted to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Do you need an independent or exclusive car insurance agent?
If you would like to find a local agent, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Boston may be either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles properly, but it is a good idea to know the difference between them because it can influence your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not locked into one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different car insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from a few independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Boston that may be able to give rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can only write with one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Boston that can give you price quotes.
Picking an auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
If you get answers to your satisfaction as well as a price you’re happy with, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that can service your policy.
Auto insurance is not optional in Massachusetts
Despite the high insurance cost for a Ford Freestar in Boston, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your Freestar, more than likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a more expensive rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your Ford and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your Freestar definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $750 every year so you should quote rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheaper rates are available
Cost effective Ford Freestar insurance is definitely available online as well as from independent agents in Boston, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some car insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and many times these small insurance companies sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just covered a lot of techniques to reduce Ford Freestar insurance auto insurance rates online in Boston. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the best auto insurance rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
For more information, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Nurses in Boston? (FAQ)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)