It takes a little time, but the best way to find affordable quotes for car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Boston. You can shop around by following these steps.
- First, it will benefit you to learn about individual coverages and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that increase rates like accidents, traffic tickets, and an unacceptable credit history can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
- Second, request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to your new insurance company. As soon as you have the new policy, place the new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
The key aspect of shopping around is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to look at as many companies as possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a complete selection of prices.
It’s well known that car insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Insureds who compare rates annually will most likely buy a different policy because there is a high probability of finding better rates. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved over $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding the most affordable auto insurance is your ultimate target, learning the best ways to shop for insurance premiums can save time and money.
If you are insured now, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using the techniques presented in this article. Locating the best rates in Boston is much easier if you have a good place to start. But Massachusetts consumers do need to learn how the larger insurance companies market insurance on the web because rates are impacted by many factors.
How to Lower Your Insurance Rates
Many things are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are more obscure such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
The list below includes some of the factors used by your company to calculate your rate level.
Always have insurance – Letting your insurance expire can be a guaranteed way to bump up your insurance costs. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you fines and jail time.
Cheaper to insure gals? – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean males are worse at driving than females. Both sexes tend to get into fender benders in similar numbers, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
Why do you need liability insurance? – Liability insurance is the protection in the event that you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not cut corners here.
Obey driving laws and save – Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Having just one driving citation can increase rates by as much as twenty percent. Good drivers get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have gotten serious violations such as DUI or reckless driving may find that they have to to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Don’t buy add-on coverages that aren’t used – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that can add up when buying insurance. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, towing coverage, and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may sound like good ideas when discussing your needs, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
Marriage is a good thing – Getting married can get you a discount on your insurance policy. It generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and it’s proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Where you call home is a factor – Living in less populated areas has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims. Urban drivers have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
One last thing about your coverage
We’ve covered many ways to lower your Lexus RX 400h insurance premium rates in Boston. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a small mutual company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower prices in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
While you’re price shopping online, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost.
More information is available on the following sites:
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Good Drivers in Boston? (FAQ)
- How Much is Boston Auto Insurance for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Company Car in Boston? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in Boston? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Boston? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)