The best way we recommend to save on Chevy Uplander insurance in Boston is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies who sell auto insurance in Massachusetts. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
- Get an understanding of how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can take to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like traffic violations and your credit history can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find better rates, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new carrier. As soon as coverage is bound, put the proof of insurance certificate in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is that you'll want to make sure you compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and to quote with as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
It's an obvious conclusion that insurance companies don't want their customers to go rate shopping. People who compare rates at least once a year will probably switch companies because they have good chances of finding lower rate quotes. A recent survey found that people who regularly shopped around saved about $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If saving the most money on insurance is the reason you're here, then having a grasp of how to shop for auto insurance can save money and time.
Lower rates by qualifying for these five discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you might already qualify for some discounts that may help make it more affordable. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked for in order for you to get them.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few larger companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Telematics Data - Insureds that choose to allow their auto insurance company to scrutinize driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Allstate's Drivewise and State Farm's In-Drive system may see discounts if they are good drivers.
- Anti-theft System - Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen so companies will give you a small discount.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with lower auto insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
You should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won't be that lucky. But any discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
A few popular companies and a selection of discounts are:
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, good student, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, and driver's education.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for business or organization, accident-free, family plan, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including military active duty, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, air bags, daytime running lights, good student, and seat belt use.
- AAA may include discounts for multi-car, good driver, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, and good student.
- 21st Century has discounts for student driver, driver training, automatic seat belts, anti-lock brakes, homeowners, air bags, and good student.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include air bag, defensive driver, bundle, good student, driver training, and anti-theft.
Double check with all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Boston. To find insurance companies with the best discounts in Massachusetts, click here.
All major car insurance companies like State Farm and Allstate provide prices from their websites. Comparing prices online for Chevy Uplander insurance in Boston is pretty painless because it's just a matter of typing in your coverage preferences into the form. Once you submit the form, the company's rating system sends out for your credit score and driving record and quotes a price based on the data you entered.
Being able to quote online for Chevy Uplander insurance in Boston makes it simple to compare prices and it's very important to compare as many rates as possible in order to find cheap prices.
In order to find out how much you're overpaying now, compare rates from the companies below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you copy the coverages as shown on your current policy. This ensures you will have a price comparison for the exact same coverage.
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Massachusetts. To buy cheaper auto insurance in MA, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Local Boston insurance agencies
A small number of people prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Most agents are trained risk managers and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this short form, your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your business. You don't have to drive around because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, just visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking the best insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. A good agent in Boston will have answers to these questions.
- Where are claims handled?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Massachusetts?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Boston?
Two types of car insurance agents
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from an insurance agent, it's important to understand the different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance agents are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both sell car insurance policies, but it's good to learn the differences since it could factor into the selection process.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only write with one company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company's rates so keep that in mind. They receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Shown below are Boston exclusive insurance agents that are able to give price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Abner Joseph
571 Dudley St Ste A - Boston, MA 02125 - (617) 442-9490 - View Map
- AAA Boston
125 High St - Boston, MA 02110 - (617) 443-9300 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you need to include rate quotes from several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many write coverage with different regional companies which may provide better rates.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Boston that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Saratoga Insurance
452 Bennington St - Boston, MA 02128 - (617) 567-1100 - View Map
- Vargas and Vargas Insurance
1133 Washington St - Dorchester Center, MA 02124 - (617) 298-0655 - View Map
- Richard Soohoo Insurance
1148 Washington St - Boston, MA 02118 - (617) 338-8168 - View Map
Once you have positive responses to any questions you have as well as low cost Chevrolet Uplander insurance quotes, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles. But remember, you have the power to cancel your policy any time you want so don't feel that you are obligated to any specific agency with no way to switch.
Insuring your vehicle just makes sense
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Boston, insuring your vehicle is required in Massachusetts but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying insurance outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is wasting up to $825 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Knowing the specifics of car insurance can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Collision coverage - Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Uplander resulting from a collision with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things such as rolling your car, hitting a parking meter, damaging your car on a curb and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Uplander in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive coverage - This coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, theft, rock chips in glass and fire damage. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like funeral costs, pain medications and ambulance fees. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage - Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Uplander.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Massachusetts limits are 20/40/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Auto liability - Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 20/40/5 which stand for $20,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $40,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims such as funeral expenses, bail bonds, medical expenses and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Massachusetts state law requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/5 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Frequent quotes can save
Drivers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium and even unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is easier than you think.
You just learned many tips how you can reduce Chevy Uplander insurance rates online in Boston. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
Cheaper car insurance in Boston is possible both online and with local Boston insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not offer internet price quotes and usually these smaller providers only sell through independent insurance agencies.
More detailed car insurance information is located in the articles below:
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Rogue in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Boston Car Insurance Rates for Retired Military? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Kia Optima in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford F-150 in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Ride Shares in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Boston Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Boston Car Insurance Quotes for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)