Inconceivable but true, the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of drivers have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. Consumers in Boston could pocket almost $600 a year just by shopping around, but most undervalue the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies.
The most effective way to get discount car insurance rates in Boston is to start comparing rates regularly from providers who sell insurance in Massachusetts. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
- Take a little time to learn about individual coverages and the measures you can take to lower rates. Many risk factors that cause high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Keep reading for tips to help reduce premium rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save some money and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same amount of coverage on every quote and and to get prices from as many carriers as you can. Doing this enables a level playing field and maximum price selection.
Buying the cheapest insurance in Boston is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. If you have insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using these methods. Nevertheless, Massachusetts car owners must understand how companies determine premium rates and take advantage of how the system works.
Which Honda Civic insurance is cheapest in Boston, MA?
It’s important to know that comparing more rates from different companies helps increase your odds of locating a better price. Not every company allows you to get online price quotes, so you should also compare price estimates on coverage from those companies, too.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Boston, MA. If you want the cheapest car insurance in Boston, we recommend you compare several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Honda Civic in Boston, car insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Honda, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Honda at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves not only your Honda but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays more than $800 each year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
The coverage table displayed next outlines a range of rate quotes for Honda Civic models. Learning how insurance policy premiums are figured can aid in making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$442||$320||$18||$96||$1,072||$89|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$520||$320||$18||$96||$1,150||$96|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$520||$320||$18||$96||$1,150||$96|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$520||$402||$24||$120||$1,262||$105|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$520||$320||$18||$96||$1,150||$96|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$520||$320||$18||$96||$1,150||$96|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$196||$598||$402||$24||$120||$1,340||$112|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$224||$598||$320||$18||$96||$1,256||$105|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$224||$598||$320||$18||$96||$1,256||$105|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$224||$598||$402||$24||$120||$1,368||$114|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$224||$598||$320||$18||$96||$1,256||$105|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$224||$598||$402||$24||$120||$1,368||$114|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$254||$520||$320||$18||$96||$1,208||$101|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$254||$678||$402||$24||$120||$1,478||$123|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in specific Boston garaging location which can increase or decrease price quotes noticeably.
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can change Honda Civic insurance prices for different age groups of insureds. The rates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The information below compares Honda Civic insurance costs with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The information is based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no specific rule of when to exclude full coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Honda Civic replacement cost is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $2,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some situations where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Affordable rates on Honda Civic insurance in Boston with these auto insurance discounts
Companies don’t always advertise every policy discount very well, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available.
- Senior Citizens – Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for a slight reduction on a Boston auto insurance quote.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less as compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted rate on car insurance if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it’s just not the way it works.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Honda Civic auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and marriage discounts applied.
A few popular companies and a selection of discounts are detailed below.
- Esurance may offer discounts for renters, Switch & Save, good driver, DriveSense, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, and multi-car.
- The Hartford discounts include defensive driver, air bag, bundle, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, driver training, and good student.
- AAA includes discounts for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, multi-car, multi-policy, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO may have discounts that include daytime running lights, multi-policy, defensive driver, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for good student, anti-theft, safe vehicle, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple policy.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all the companies which discounts they offer. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered everywhere.
You may need help from an insurance agency
Many people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a smart move The biggest benefit of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get lower car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Boston that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Is the quote a firm price?
Is an exclusive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
When researching local Boston agents, there are two types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agents are categorized either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are trained well on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Many people buy insurance from these agents partially due to the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Shown below are Boston exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Abner Joseph
571 Dudley St Ste A – Boston, MA 02125 – (617) 442-9490 – View Map
- AAA Boston
125 High St – Boston, MA 02110 – (617) 443-9300 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company so as a result can place your coverage through lots of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you will definitely want to get insurance quotes from several independent insurance agents to maximize your price options. They also have the ability to place coverage with small mutual carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Boston that are able to give price quote information.
- Allston Insurance
281 Western Ave – Boston, MA 02134 – (617) 229-6413 – View Map
- DMC Insurance Agency Inc
100 High St # 2800 – Boston, MA 02110 – (617) 451-0100 – View Map
- T. A. Holland and Co. Insurance Agency LLC
7, 60 State St – Boston, MA 02109 – (617) 523-2828 – View Map
Upon getting good responses and a low price estimate, you may have just found an insurance agency that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles.
Will just any policy work for me?
When quoting and comparing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your auto insurance should unique, too.
For example, these questions may help highlight if you could use an agent’s help.
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Can I insure my car for more than it’s worth?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Ratings for Boston car insurance companies
Finding the best car insurance company is hard considering how many companies provide coverage in Boston. The company rank data listed below could help you choose which coverage providers you want to consider when comparing rates.
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
- American Family
- State Farm
Find affordable rates by being thorough
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, someone dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheaper insurance in Boston can be purchased online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and many times these small, regional companies work with independent insurance agents.
To read more, take a look at the resources below:
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Boston Auto Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Boston Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Ford F-150 in Boston? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Low Mileage Drivers in Boston? (FAQ)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)