Trying to find low-cost Chevy Volt insurance in Boston? Locating cheaper insurance for a Chevy Volt in Massachusetts can turn out to be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to save time. There are more efficient ways to find insurance online so you’re going to learn the best way to quote coverages for a new or used Chevy and obtain the best price possible from both online companies and Boston agents.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates once or twice a year because insurance rates change regularly. Just because you had the best premium rates on Chevy Volt insurance in Boston a year ago you will most likely find a better price today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you’re about to find out the fastest way to find great coverage at a great price.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Chevy Volt insurance in Boston
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy Boston auto insurance online.
- Paperwork-free – Many larger companies give back up to $50 for completing your application over the internet.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Responsible Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with a few insurance companies.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy with the same company you could save at least 10% off all policies.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed in the military may lower your prices slightly.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates you could get a free insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A few of the larger companies and the discounts they provide are shown below.
- State Farm has savings for student away at school, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, good driver, multiple autos, and accident-free.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for business or organization, multi-policy, good student, accident-free, easy pay, and defensive driving.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-policy, military active duty, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, good driver, good student, education and occupation, and multi-car.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include driver training, 55 and older, automatic seat belts, defensive driver, homeowners, and theft prevention.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for anti-theft, air bag, defensive driver, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be available to policyholders in every state. For a list of insurance companies who offer free Chevy Volt insurance quotes in Boston, click this link.
Most larger insurance companies make it easy to get coverage prices on their websites. Doing online price comparisons for Chevy Volt insurance in Boston doesn’t take a lot of time because it’s just a matter of typing in the coverage amounts you desire on the page. After you submit the form their system automatically retrieves your driving and credit reports and provides a quote based on these and other factors.
Quoting online for Chevy Volt insurance in Boston simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s very important to perform this step in order to get the lowest payment on insurance.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you copy your coverages as close as possible to your current policy. Doing this assures you will have an apples-to-apples comparison using the exact same coverages.
The auto insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Boston, MA. If you wish to find the best car insurance in MA, we recommend you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
Many different elements are used when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but other factors are not as apparent like your continuous coverage and annual miles driven. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the factors that help calculate the rates you pay for car insurance. If you know what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper rates.
Listed below are some of the most common factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
Car insurance rates and age – Drivers with little experience are known to get distracted easily when at the wheel of a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a first-time driver to your car insurance policy can increase premiums substantially. Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and receive fewer citations.
Insurance claims cost money – Auto insurance companies in Massachusetts generally give most affordable rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your car insurance is intended for the large, substantial claims.
Little extras can really add up – Insurance companies have many extra add-on coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, death and dismemberment, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. You may think they are a good idea initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
Having a spouse can save on car insurance – Having a significant other can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Having a spouse is viewed as being more stable financially and statistics prove married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
More performance means higher rates – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The lowest performance passenger models generally receive the lowest base rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Accidents can be expensive – Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Even a single speeding ticket or other violation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have gotten careless citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding are required to complete a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Insurance losses for a Chevy Volt – Insurance companies analyze past claim statistics to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that tend to have increased losses will have higher premium rates. The table below illustrates the historical loss data for Chevy Volt vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while values over 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Specific Chevrolet Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Volt Electric||89||83||81||71||73||90|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When should I contact an insurance agency?
Many people just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! Most agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing car insurance online is you can get better rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this simple form, your coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Boston that can provide free Boston auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you. If you wish to get a rate quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Selecting a provider should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Massachusetts?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Chevy Volt in Boston, auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Some insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents. Discount Chevy Volt insurance is definitely available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Boston agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis.
When you buy Boston auto insurance online, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost.
Drivers who switch companies do it for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund or even extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
How to find better rates for Chevy Volt insurance in Boston
The best way to get discount auto insurance rates in Boston is to regularly compare price quotes from insurers who sell auto insurance in Massachusetts.
Step 1: Read about how your policy works and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many factors that result in higher prices like distracted driving and a not-so-good credit history can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and to quote with as many car insurance companies as possible. This ensures an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Good Drivers in Boston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Business Use in Boston? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Veterans in Boston? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)