The preferred way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to annually compare prices from insurers who sell insurance in Boston. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Learn about how your policy works and the steps you can take to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like getting speeding tickets and a substandard credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. Continue reading for ideas to lower rates and find additional discounts.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies. View a list of agents
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new insurer. When you receive it, keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare similar coverage information on every quote request and and to analyze as many companies as possible. This enables a level playing field and a thorough price selection.
We don’t have to tell you that car insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Consumers who shop around at least once a year are likely to switch insurance companies because they stand a good chance of finding a lower rate. Remarkably, a study showed that people who routinely shopped around saved on average $3,400 over four years compared to policyholders who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance is your goal, learning how to get rate quotes and compare car insurance can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
Shopping for the best-priced protection in Boston is not as confusing as people think. Just about anyone who is required by state law to have car insurance most likely will find lower prices. But Massachusetts drivers can benefit by having an understanding of how companies market on the web and use it to find better rates.
Just remember that comparing a large number of companies provides better odds of finding more affordable rates. Not every company allows you to get rate quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare price quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The car insurance companies shown below offer free quotes in Boston, MA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the cheapest price.
Coverage statistics and figures
The rate information displayed below highlights detailed analysis of insurance costs for Mercury Milan models. Having a good grasp of how prices are calculated can help guide drivers when making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Milan Premier AWD||$282||$502||$290||$18||$86||$1,178||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in your specific Boston location which can modify price quotes substantially.
The example below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can influence Mercury Milan insurance premiums for different categories of driver ages. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Mercury Milan insurance prices with full coverage compared to only the Massachusetts minimum liability coverage. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no set rule for excluding comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Mercury Milan settlement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, you would only receive $2,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying over $200 a year to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are a few cases where dropping full coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Some insurers don’t list every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has some of the more common as well as some of the hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying auto insurance coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Claim-Free Discount – Boston drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates in comparison to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on one policy qualifies for this discount.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you aren’t that lucky.
The information below shows the comparison of Mercury Milan yearly insurance costs with and without some available policy discounts. The data is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-car, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
If you would like to see a list of insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Boston, click this link.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Mercury in Boston, paying for car insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, almost every bank will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Mercury at a more expensive rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards both your Mercury and your personal assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying more than $750 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When quoting and comparing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Your situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Compare prices but buy from a local Boston insurance agent
Some people still like to talk to a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Boston.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the quote information is emailed to insurance agents in Boston who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to contact any agents as quotes are delivered directly to you. You’ll get the best rates without a big time investment. If for some reason you want to compare prices from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best insurance company requires you to look at more than just a low price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- What companies can they write with?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- If they are an independent agency in Boston, which companies do they recommend?
- Are they able to provide referrals?