Anyone knows that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Insureds who compare rates once a year will most likely buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding a lower rate. A recent survey discovered that consumers who compared prices once a year saved $860 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the cheapest price on insurance is the reason for your visit, then learning a little about the best way to shop and compare insurance premiums can help make the process easier.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get budget car insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers who can sell car insurance in Boston.
- Gain an understanding of how car insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause high rates such as traffic violations and poor credit history can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy and determine if cheaper Sonic coverage is available in Boston. If you find a lower rate, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current policy. Submit payment and a signed application to your new agent or company. Immediately upon receiving it, place your new proof of insurance paperwork in your vehicle.
An important bit of advice to remember is to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. This ensures a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Boston, MA. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Cheap Boston car insurance quotes with discounts
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you may find discounts that you may not even be aware of. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but once in a while a discount must be asked for before being credited.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a qualifying organization may earn a discount on your next renewal.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one isn’t a discount, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will forgive one accident without raising rates if you have no claims before the accident.
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to monitor driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates as long as the data is positive.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction with select insurance companies.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver’s education course if it’s offered in school.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
One thing to note about discounts is that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, and homeowner.
- The Hartford offers discounts for bundle, good student, air bag, defensive driver, driver training, vehicle fuel type, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include good driver, professional/association, location of vehicle, type of vehicle, age of vehicle, and annual mileage.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, federal employee, and daytime running lights.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, multi-car, good student, pay-in-full, good driver, education and occupation, and anti-theft.
- State Farm discounts include good student, multiple policy, student away at school, anti-theft, accident-free, and passive restraint.
If you are trying to find cheaper Boston auto insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts they offer. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. If you would like to see a list of companies who offer free Chevy Sonic insurance quotes in Massachusetts, click here to view.
Cut Insurance Costs with These Tips
Many different elements are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but other criteria are more obscure like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating. The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine the rates you pay for car insurance. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find better car insurance rates.
The factors shown below are some of the most common factors used by your company to calculate prices.
More performance means more cost – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest rates are usually found on low performance passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Costs increase with policy add-ons – There are many extra coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for roadside assistance, accidental death, and term life insurance may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea initially, but if you’ve never needed them in the past think about removing them and cutting costs.
Annual mileage and car insurance rates – Driving a lot of miles every year the more it will cost to insure it. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Sonic may be costing you. Make sure your car insurance policy properly reflects the right rating data.
High coverage deductibles lower costs – Physical damage protection, also called ‘full coverage’, is used to repair damage to your Chevy. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a broken windshield, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
More traffic equals higher prices – Residing in less populated areas of the country can be a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. Fewer people means fewer accidents. People who live in big cities have much more traffic and longer commute times. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
Does your occupation cost you more? – Careers like military generals, airline pilots, and dentists have higher premium rates because of intense work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other careers like scientists, athletes and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
Older drivers pay less – Mature drivers are more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Teen drivers are proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates.
Vehicle features that lower premiums – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can help prevent vehicle theft.
Insurance loss probability for a Chevy Sonic – Companies use statistical claims data to calculate a rate that will offset losses. Vehicles that statistically have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates.
The table shown below demonstrates the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Sonic vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Percentages below 100 represent a good loss history, while percentages above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased chance of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years