It’s hard to fathom, but almost 70% of drivers in Massachusetts have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and just under half have never shopped around. U.S. drivers can save 47% each year by just shopping around, but they just don’t understand the actual amount they would save if they changed companies.
The easiest way to get discount BMW X1 insurance in Boston is to compare prices once a year from providers who provide auto insurance in Massachusetts.
Step 1: Read and learn about how insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a negative credit rating can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for many different companies. Start a quote
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on X1 insurance in Boston. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One important bit of advice is to make sure you’re comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
You may qualify for discounts for BMW X1 insurance in Boston
Some insurance providers do not advertise every possible discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious auto insurance savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more on X1 insurance in Boston.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings up to 30%.
- Early Switch Discount – Some companies provide a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance coverage on a new X1 can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for newer vehicles.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Some insurance companies give lower rates if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Memberships – Being a member of a qualifying organization may earn a discount on your next auto insurance statement.
- Early Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid the installment charge.
- Driver Safety – Taking a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
Discounts lower rates, but most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Larger auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- Esurance has discounts for claim free, good driver, online quote, paid-in-full, anti-lock brakes, and Pac-12 alumni.
- The Hartford discounts include vehicle fuel type, driver training, anti-theft, defensive driver, good student, and air bag.
- AAA may have discounts that include good driver, anti-theft, multi-policy, education and occupation, good student, multi-car, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO may offer discounts for membership and employees, air bags, driver training, military active duty, multi-vehicle, seat belt use, and good student.
- State Farm has savings for driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, passive restraint, multiple policy, multiple autos, and good driver.
If you need lower rates, check with every company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders in your state. To locate insurers with the best discounts in Massachusetts, follow this link.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Boston, MA. If you wish to find the best car insurance in Massachusetts, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Informed Consumers Save Money
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
- Lower rates by increasing comp and collision deductibles – Physical damage coverage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your BMW. Some examples of covered claims are a broken side mirror, hail damage, and having your car stolen. Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The larger the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Certain jobs raise premiums – Careers such as military personnel, police officers, and dentists generally have higher rates than average attributed to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, jobs like scientists, athletes and homemakers pay lower than average rates.
- A good credit score can save money – An insured’s credit rating is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay for insurance. Therefore, if your credit score can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your BMW X1 by improving your credit score. Drivers with very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with bad credit.
- Too many insurance claims drive up rates – Companies in Massachusetts award cheaper rates to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. If you file claims often, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is intended for the large, substantial claims.
- Rates increase with driving citations – Being a careful driver can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Careful drivers receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Just one citation can increase the cost of insurance to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who get license-revoking citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding might be required by their state to maintain a SR-22 with their state in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Gender and insurance coverage rates – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. It does not mean females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause fender benders at about the same rate, but the male of the species have accidents that have higher claims. Men also tend to get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Male drivers age 16 to 19 generally have the highest accident percentage and thus pay the highest rates.
- Your car’s features help determine insurance rates – Driving a car with advanced anti-theft systems can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all aid in stopping car theft.
BMW X1 insurance loss statistics – Companies include the past claim trends for vehicles to help calculate premium rates. Vehicles that historically have increased losses will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for BMW X1 vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is equal to 100. Percentage numbers below 100 represent a good loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate frequent claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Car Insurance Loss Data for BMW X1 Models Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury BMW X1 4dr 2WD 99 86 113 90 95 87 BMW X1 4dr 4WD 103 96 120 73 69 82BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare prices but buy from a local Boston insurance agency
A small number of people just prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Agents can help you choose the best coverages and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of comparing auto insurance online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents that can give you free Boston auto insurance quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. If you want to quote rates for a specific company, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right provider shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- How many companies do they write for?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- What discounts might you be missing?
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Boston
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a good Boston insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agents and how they work. Agencies in Boston are classified as either independent or exclusive. Either one can sell auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the differences since it can affect which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents can only write with one company such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below are Boston exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by any specific company so they can write business through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we highly recommend that you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
The following are Boston independent insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
Alan J Ross Insurance Agency Inc
225 Franklin St – Boston, MA 02110 – (617) 449-9413 – View Map
Protect your BMW X1 and other assets
Despite the high cost, auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your X1 with a loan, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your BMW for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards both your BMW X1 and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying over $750 every year so it’s recommended you shop around at least once a year to save money.
Boston car insurance companies
Ending up with the best auto insurance provider is hard considering how many companies there are in Massachusetts. The ranking information shown next could help you analyze which auto insurers to look at comparing prices from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Persistence will pay off
You just learned a lot of information how to lower your BMW X1 insurance rates in Boston. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Boston auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting affordable BMW X1 insurance quotes. You may even find the most savings is with the smaller companies. They may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Much more information about insurance in Massachusetts can be read below:
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Uber Drivers in Boston? (FAQ)
- How Much is Boston Auto Insurance for State Employees? (FAQ)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)