Chevy Colorado insurance image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
A recent study showed that the majority of drivers have bought auto insurance from the same company for over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. American drivers could cut their rates by $859 a year, but they assume it's a waste of time to compare rate quotes online.
The recommended way to get affordable auto insurance rates in Boston is to do a yearly price comparison from companies who sell auto insurance in Massachusetts.
First, it will benefit you to learn about coverages and the things you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as distracted driving and a negative credit history can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple sources.
Third, compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, put the certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle.
The key thing to remember is to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to look at as many carriers as you can. This provides a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Most of the larger companies give insurance quotes on the web. Obtaining pricing for Chevy Colorado insurance in Boston is possible for anyone because it's just a matter of typing in the coverages you want into the quote form. Once you submit the form, the system will obtain your driving and credit reports and provides a quote based on the information you submitted. Quoting online for Chevy Colorado insurance in Boston makes comparing rates easy, and it's very important to have as many quotes as possible if you want to get the cheapest price on insurance.
To compare rates now, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you replicate your coverages just like they are on your policy. Doing this assures you will be getting rate comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
The following companies have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Boston, MA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Why you need Chevy Colorado insurance in Massachusetts
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Colorado insurance, insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Colorado, it's guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Colorado more than offset the price you pay, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $750 every year so shop around every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Chevy Colorado insurance analysis
The information below highlights estimates of insurance rates for Chevy Colorado models. Learning a little about how premiums are established is important for making smart choices when comparing insurance quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$166||$362||$320||$18||$96||$962||$80|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$196||$442||$320||$18||$96||$1,072||$89|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$196||$362||$272||$16||$82||$928||$77|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$196||$442||$320||$18||$96||$1,072||$89|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$196||$362||$272||$16||$82||$928||$77|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$224||$442||$272||$16||$82||$1,036||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Massachusetts minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific garaging location which can decrease or increase coverage rates noticeably.
Should you buy full coverage?
The chart below shows the difference between Chevy Colorado car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The costs are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no definitive formula of when to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevy Colorado replacement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing you more than $500 a year for full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some conditions where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Auto insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Some insurers don't always advertise every possible discount very clearly, so the list below details both the well known and also the more inconspicuous ways to save on auto insurance.
- Waiver for an Accident - This one isn't a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Buying a new car model can cost up to 25% less because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your auto and home policies with the same company they may give you a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find affordable Chevrolet Colorado insurance rates in Boston.
- Air Bag Discount - Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- Discount for Swiching Early - A few auto insurance companies offer discounts for buying a policy before your current Colorado insurance policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Membership in Organizations - Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next renewal.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Taking a class that teaches safe driver techniques may get you a small discount depending on where you live.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren't that lucky.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Colorado insurance prices with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The data assumes a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Massachusetts state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-vehicle, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, air bags, driver training, and membership and employees.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include teen safe driver, safe driver, bundle discounts, homeowner, multi-car, accident prevention training, and drive less.
- State Farm has discounts for driver's education, multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and anti-theft.
- MetLife offers discounts including good driver, accident-free, defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free
- 21st Century discounts include theft prevention, automatic seat belts, 55 and older, good student, early bird, air bags, and driver training.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find the cheapest Chevrolet Colorado rate quotes, ask every company what discounts are available to you. Savings may not be available in your state. If you would like to view insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Massachusetts, click here.
When to get professional advice
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether your personal situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Who is covered when they drive my Chevy Colorado?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
If it's difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Best auto insurance company in Boston
Buying coverage from a high-quality company can be a challenge considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Boston. The company ratings displayed below can help you pick which auto insurers to look at comparing rates with.
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance - 93%
- The Hartford - 93%
- The General - 91%
- Progressive - 90%
- 21st Century - 89%
- USAA - 87%
- State Farm - 87%
- Travelers - 87%
- Mercury Insurance - 87%
- Safeco Insurance - 86%
Top 10 Boston Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA - A++
- GEICO - A++
- Travelers - A++
- State Farm - A++
- Allstate - A+
- Nationwide - A+
- Esurance - A+
- Progressive - A+
- The Hartford - A+
- Mercury Insurance - A+